Injured In A Colorado Car Accident?

Get the help you need today.


I’ve been fighting for auto accident victims for 30 years, and have settled over $100 million in claims for my clients.
Contact me today and learn how I can fight for you.

Injured In A Colorado Car Accident?

Get the help you need today.

Experienced Car Accident Lawyer

Serving Denver & the Greater Colorado Area for Three Decades

As a car accident attorney in Denver and across Colorado for over 30 years, I’ve seen the devastating effects auto accidents can have not just on the individuals involved, but on their entire families. And not just in the form of physical injuries and death, but emotional distress, lost time at work, lower quality of life, and more.

If you’ve been injured in a car accident or any type of motor vehicle accident in Colorado, you can contact me for a free consultation at (303) 454-8000 or toll-free at (800) ROSEN-911, or by filling out the form on the right.

I’ve handled tens of thousands of auto accident and personal injury cases. I’ve seen a case just like yours, and I can help you through it!

Injured in a car accident in Colorado?

Get the facts you need to know…

Colorado law contains a number of provisions that should guide your actions after an automobile accident in our state. An experienced auto accident attorney has the knowledge to address frequently asked questions such as:

What Should I Do If I've Been in a Car Accident in Colorado?
You’ll need to report the accident to the police and to your insurance company as soon as possible, and it’s always a good idea to exchange insurance information with the other party. If you were injured, you should obtain medical care immediately, and seek legal advice from an experienced Colorado auto accident attorney.

If a law enforcement officer comes to the scene and investigates the crash, a report will be filed. If the police officer was not present at the scene, you can report the accident by filling out the state’s Online Accident Report.

According to Colorado law, to be reported online, your accident must meet the following criteria:

  • No fatalities or injuries were sustained
  • Information about the other party was provided (the accident was not a hit and run)
  • No public property was damaged (as opposed to private)
  • No party is under suspicion for driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
How Can I Get a Copy of My Auto Accident Report?
To obtain a copy of your accident report, you will need to contact the Colorado Department of Motor Vehicles and provide the following information:

  • Name of driver
  • Date of the accident
  • Case Report number
  • Location of the accident

Colorado’s DMV keeps copies of accident reports for seven years. To request a copy online, you will need to download the Request Form, fill it out, and scan and email it, along with your credit or debit card information, to: [email protected]

The request can also be faxed, along with the payment form, to (303) 239-4347. Online reports cost $5 each.

Sometimes an insurance company will require you to fill out certain forms that are unique to the state of Colorado, including:

Waiver of Security Financial Responsibility

Release from Liability

Affidavit of Financial Responsibility

Promissory Note Contract

If I Don't Think I've Been Injured, Should I Still Seek Medical Attention?
People tend to minimize their injuries, but even seemingly minor injuries can turn into major problems later.

You and your passengers should seek medical attention as soon as possible after an accident because a physician could detect and initiate treatment for injuries that may not be immediately apparent to you.

Colorado Is an At-Fault State
Prior to 2003, Colorado was a “no-fault” auto insurance state, meaning that if you were injured in an accident your own insurance would pay for your medical care, no matter who was liable for the collision. But Colorado repealed the Auto Accident Reparations Act in 2003, converting the state from no-fault to a tort system, meaning that those injured in an automobile accident must prove that they were not at fault and attempt to collect damages from the at-fault party or their insurance company.
If I Was Partially Responsible for the Accident, Can I Still Receive Compensation?
Colorado is a modified comparative fault state, meaning that a damaged party cannot recover if they are found to be 50 percent or more at fault for an injury. Although they can recover if 49 percent or less at fault, the amount will be reduced by their relative degree of fault. Claimants who are proven to be more to blame for their injuries than the defendant will not be entitled to seek any damages at all.
How Much Liability Insurance Coverage Does Colorado Require?
Colorado law requires that drivers carry the following minimums of liability coverage:

  • $25,000 per person for bodily injury
  • $50,000 per accident for bodily injury
  • $15,000 per accident for property damage

In Colorado, the at-fault party may be responsible for paying your medical bills, but you only get to make one claim for these expenses, and this claim is commonly made after you are through with all your accident-related treatment. If you need to pay some or all of these bills before you make that final claim, you can access the medical payment benefit of your auto policy, if you have such a provision. Remember, medical payment insurance provisions are optional in Colorado.

What If I Wasn't Wearing a Seat Belt?
Seat belt use is mandatory for drivers and all front-seat passengers in Colorado, and drivers can be cited for not buckling up. The law does not apply to those with a diagnosed physical or psychological disability that prevents them from wearing a seat belt, or if federal law does not require the vehicle to be equipped with seat belts. Because wearing a seat belt during an accident can help prevent serious bodily injury or death, a plaintiff who seeks recovery from injuries sustained in an accident is subject to the defense that he did not mitigate his non-economic damages for pain and suffering, although economic damages for emotional distress, impairment of quality of life, loss of earnings, loss of earning capacity, future medical expenses, and inconvenience may still be available.
What If the Driver Who Hit Me Was Uninsured?
Automobile insurance companies in Colorado are legally required to include uninsured/underinsured coverage in every policy that is sold in the state. If you were hit by someone without insurance or with low limits of coverage that aren’t sufficient to pay for all your damages, the uninsured (UM) or underinsured (UIM) coverage on your own policy will pay for injuries to you and your passengers, and sometimes even damage to your vehicle if you were the victim of a hit-and-run. But to make a claim for underinsured benefits, you will first have to get permission from your insurance company to settle with the at-fault driver’s insurance company.

Colorado law requires the following minimum amount of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage (unless waived in writing by the policyholder):

  • $25,000 per person for uninsured/underinsured motorist
  • $50,000 per accident for uninsured/underinsured motorist

Under Colorado law, an automobile insurance company cannot raise your rates if you make a claim for uninsured or underinsured motorist benefits if the accident was not your fault.

Should I File a Lawsuit After a Car Accident?
This question can best be answered by an experienced Colorado personal injury attorney, who will review your case and recommend the best course of action. As a Colorado resident, two factors may affect the value of your case:

  1. Colorado Statute of Limitations: If your car accident happened a few years ago, it might not be too late to take action. If you decide to file a personal injury claim for damages arising from your car accident, you have three years to do so under Colorado’s statute of limitations.
  2. Auto Accident Damages & Negligence: Insurance companies usually pay for medical expenses (both present and future), and property damage. They may also pay for more general damages such as pain and suffering, lost wages, and loss of earning capacity.
How Much Will It Cost to Hire a Personal Injury Attorney to Represent Me?
Most personal injury cases are handled on a contingency fee basis, meaning that your attorney will receive a percentage of any damages you recover upon the conclusion of your case. Most attorneys also offer potential clients a free initial consultation, and advance costs for things like medical records, depositions, and medical experts.
The Insurance Company Wants to Settle My Claim -- Should I Accept the Offer?
If you are offered a settlement from an insurance company, proceed with caution. You should not consider accepting such an offer until all your physical injuries have been treated and your doctor declares you to be at “maximum medical improvement.” To increase your chances of being fairly compensated for your injuries, you should consult with an accident attorney before signing any documents pertaining to settlement.

If you choose to represent yourself, you’re doing exactly what the insurance company wants you to do: allowing them to pay you less than your claim is worth. It takes an experienced attorney to evaluate a personal injury claim, know it’s worth, and demand fair treatment from the insurance company.

Insurance companies will go to great lengths to keep you from getting the compensation you deserve and will try to rush you into settling quickly. As a personal injury lawyer with over 30 years of experience, I talk to insurance companies every single day. I can help you receive a bigger settlement than you’d receive by talking to them on your own.

Get In Touch


Years Experience




In injury case settlements
See Case Results

Colorado Car Accident Resources

Overcoming an auto accident injury is overwhelming enough. Navigating the legal process doesn’t have to be. We’re here to guide you every step of the way.

Colorado Is an At-Fault Insurance State

How to Help Your Teen Drive More Safely

Teen drivers are more likely to cause fatalities than other drivers. But measures like the graduated driver licensing can reduce the risk.

5 Reasons a Car Accident Claim Can Be Denied

You have been in a car accident. You file a claim. But if you make any of five major mistakes, your claim will probably be denied.

Tips for Talking to an Insurance Adjuster

Insurance adjusters are full of questions, but people involved in automobile accidents usually should not discuss the wreck or the injuries sustained.

Pre-Existing Medical Conditions and Your Colorado Auto Accident

You need to disclose any pre-existing medical conditions when making a personal injury claim. Here’s why.

Opioids and Driving: A Prescription for Abuse and Accidents

The proportion of fatally injured drivers who had been using prescription opiates more than tripled in recent years.

Injured in a Colorado Car Accident?

Contact me today for a free consultation.

If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, the fastest way to find out if you have a case is to schedule a free consultation with me.

At the Law Offices of Daniel R. Rosen, our goal is to get you through your car accident and injury claim as quickly and smoothly as we can. I’ve earned over $100 million in settlements for my clients and personally handle every single case that comes across my desk. I can get you the settlement you deserve, and you won’t pay a penny until I come through for you.

Embed this infographic:
Embed this image: