Paris Hilton’s Brother Barron Ordered to Pay $4.7 Million in DUI Suit
Barron Nicholas Hilton II, one of socialite Paris Hilton’s two younger brothers, has been ordered by an L.A. County Superior Court jury to pay a $4.9 million fine in a civil suit related to a DUI charge. Hilton was sued by Fernando Tellez, who was hit and injured by Hilton’s Mercedes Benz in a 2008 crash in a Pacific Coast Highway gas station where Tellez was an attendant at the time. The July 7 judgment requires Hilton to pay $4.6 million for Tellez’s pain and suffering, medical expenses, and loss of earnings, plus $225,000 in punitive damages and close to $71,000 in interest.
As Andrew Blankstein writes in the Los Angeles Times L.A. Now blog,
The case grew out of a 2008 incident in which witnesses said Hilton was involved in at least one collision, drove the wrong way for miles down Pacific Coast Highway and finally pulled into a gas station in Malibu, where the hotel heir struck employee Fernando Tellez.
Attorney Joseph M. Kar, who represented Tellez, said Hilton denied he had driven the car and claimed amnesia, remembering only that he was on a bench at the station after the incident. He also denied driving the car at any time despite witnesses who placed him in the vehicle.
Hilton, who was 18 at the time, was arrested on suspicion of DUI that day after his blood alcohol level registered .14%. He later pleaded no contest to the DUI charge. Attorney Kar said he felt Hilton and his lawyers had used an unfair tactic by refusing to admit guilt in the gas station auto accident when Hilton had already pleaded no contest to the earlier criminal DUI case. Earlier on the morning of the gas station accident, according to authorities, Hilton’s companion, Ashley Elizabeth Meyers, had been driving the Mercedes-Benz and hit another vehicle.
As L.A. Now reports:
‘This wild night of reckless partying resulted in Mr. Tellez’s permanent disability, required him to undergo multiple surgeries and medical procedures and destroyed his family and his ability to provide for his family, Kar said.
A source connected with Barron tells TMZ, ‘We disagree with the jury. Barron did not strike the attendant. Barron knows he did wrong. It happened 3 years ago and he’s been incredibly responsible ever since.’