Three Colorado agencies will be hosting more than 25 events throughout September in observance of Child Passenger Safety Week, as the Colorado Department of Education (CDOT) writes in a press release. Those agencies include the CDOT, the Colorado State Patrol, and Child Passenger Safety Team Colorado.
‘What we as parents and adults have to realize is that children rely on us to keep them safe when they’re in vehicles,’ said Tim Sutherland, CPS Program Coordinator with the Colorado State Patrol. ‘They can’t properly restrain themselves, so adults need to make sure that every time a child is in a vehicle, they are properly restrained in the correct car seat, booster seat or seat belt, no matter how long the trip is.’
The events will include car seat checks, educational classes for car seat technicians, and community safety events. The events will help parents to know if their kids are safe while riding in vehicles, CDOT writes.
Child safety law is primary enforcement in Colorado, which means officers can stop and ticket drivers if they see an unrestrained or improperly restrained child under age 16 in a vehicle. The minimum fine for an unrestrained child is $82, CDOT notes. In July, during the nighttime seat belt enforcement period in Colorado, officers cited 61 drivers for not having children buckled up.
In the United States in 2013, more than 638 children age 12 and under died as passengers in car accidents, and more than 127,250 were injured, CDOT reports. And in Colorado over Labor Day weekend, two children were killed in a crash and two other children were severely injured in the same crash; none of them were properly restrained, writes Sam Cole, CDOT’s safety communications manager.
Here is a list of Colorado Car Seat events scheduled for this week, and you can find the addresses and other details, and sign up for them, by clicking on them on the Car Seats Colorado Facebook Page:
- Sept. 16: 9 a.m. Community Safety Event, Car Seats Colorado, Lakewood
- Sept. 16: 9 a.m. Car Seat Check Event, Car Seats Colorado, Lakewood
- Sept. 16: 2 p.m. Colorado Springs Seat Check, Fire Station 16, Colorado Springs
- Thursday, Sept. 17: 10 a.m. Seat Check Event, Thornton, Thornton Fire Station #5
- Friday, Sept. 18: 8:30 a.m. Lakewood Seat Checks, West Metro Fire Rescue Training and Event Center
- Friday, Sept. 18: 8 a.m. Denver Seat Checks, Eastside Denver Health Clinic
- Saturday, Sept. 19: 8 a.m. Denver Seat Checks, Denver Health Montbello Clinic
- Saturday, Sept. 19: 9 a.m. Westminster Seat Check, 9150 Lowell Blvd. Westminster
And here are the events scheduled for next week:
- Tuesday, Sept. 22: 8:39 a.m. RMAE Field Day for Safety, Rocky Mountain Academy of Evergreen
- Wednesday, Sept. 23: 8:30 a.m. Colorado State Patrol Open House, 20591 Highway 160 W. Durango
- Wednesday, Sept. 23: 12 p.m. Car Seat Check, South Metro Fire Rescue Authority, Centennial
- Wednesday, Sept. 23: 3 p.m. Colorado Springs Seat Checks, Fire Station 8, Colorado Springs
- Friday, Sept. 25: 12 p.m. Spanish Car Seat Class, Safe Kids Larimer County
- Saturday, Sept. 26: 10 a.m. Car Seat Check Event, Car Seats Colorado, Lakewood
- Saturday, Sept. 26: 10 p.m. (through 2 p.m. Sept. 27); Emergency Preparedness Event, Safe Kids Larimer County
The Cars Seats Colorado Facebook page also lists events taking place in October and November. You can find additional information and resources here.